Wednesday, March 14, 2012

The Sense of an Ending

I've been reading a lot of physics book lately.  I even have these 2 pocket books to get me occupied on the MRT rides:)  So if anyone out there, wanna talk about the theory of gravitation, quantum theory, space warps, M-theory and stuff.. just let me know okay? :-D (yeah I know,  I'm sounding like a trying hard snob haha)


But I did managed to finish reading a novel lately..  The Sense of an Ending by Julian Barnes.  One of those books that really captivated me. What a wonderful read!  Well I just wanna share an excerpt below.



'I remember a period in late adolescence when my mind would make itself drunk with images of adventurousness. This is how it will be when I grow up, I shall go there, do this, discover that.... I shall live as people in novels live and have lived..... However... who said that thing about 'the littleness of life that art exaggerates'? There was a moment in my late twenties when I admitted that my adventurousness had long since petered out. I would never do those things adolescence had dreamt about. Instead, I mowed the lawn, I took holidays, I had my life.


But time... how time first grounds us and then confounds us. We thought we were being mature when we were only being safe. We imagined we were being responsible but were only being cowardly. What we called realism turned out to be a way of avoiding things rather that facing them. Time... give us enough time and our best-supported decisions will seem only wobbly, our certainties whimsical.'

4 comments:

savante said...

Must try that Julian Barnes read then. Have been looking for something new to read.

3quarks said...

savante, yes its good. quick go get one:)

William said...

Wah, geek lit!

3quarks said...

William, yeah I have this feeling I could be a geek haha